A Successful History Of
Handling Family Law Issues

An Experienced Modification And Enforcement Attorney

When your situation changes after your divorce or if your former spouse fails to abide by the divorce decree, you may want to consider modification or enforcement of your divorce decree.

At the law office of Jody A. Miller in Atlanta, Georgia, we represent clients in bringing and defending modification and enforcement proceedings. We understand that circumstances change and you may need help after a divorce is finalized. If you have a question about the modification and enforcement of a divorce order, contact us to schedule an appointment.

Alimony, Child Support And Child Custody Modification

A family’s situation continues to change even after a divorce. A court may modify an award for alimony, child support, and child custody and visitation to correspond with these changes. Here are a few issues related to the modification of a divorce decree:

  • Child support: A court may modify child support if a party can show that there has been a substantial change in the financial circumstances of a parent or in the needs of a child.
  • Child custody and visitation: Custody and visitation may be modified after a final order is issued. Custody may be modified if a material change in circumstances has occurred since the last award of custody and it is in the child’s best interest to modify the current custody order. Parenting time or visitation may be modified upon showing a change of circumstances since the current order was issued if the modification action is filed less than two years from the current order, or without showing a change of circumstances if more than two years has elapsed since the current visitation order was issued.
  • Alimony: A court may modify the amount of monthly, periodic alimony. Neither the duration of alimony nor an award of lump sum alimony is modifiable.

Monetary And Nonmonetary Enforcement

When your ex-spouse fails to abide by the terms of a divorce decree, you can petition the court for help. When adjudicating alimony and child support enforcement actions, the court must find that a party knowingly and willfully disregarded a court order or agreement. If a party is found guilty of contempt, a court may place the ex-spouse in jail until he or she complies with the order. Other options include garnishment of wages. If a court finds that a parent has denied visitation rights to the other parent, remedies the court may consider are ordering the offending parent to anger management or parenting classes or a makeup of the missed visitation.

Contact Us To Learn More

Our firm represents and defends parties in modification and enforcement actions. To learn more about this process, contact us at the law office of Jody A. Miller. We represent clients throughout Georgia, including locations such as Lawrenceville, Jonesboro and Marietta.